Skip to main content

I am actually enjoying the housework until I hear the brolgas are back and head outside again.

Today I am having one of those rare days when I am enjoying the housework. Yes I admit it, most of the time I would rather be doing anything else other than sweeping the floors and wondering how half the farm ended up in our kitchen but today I am very happy pottering about and straightening things up.

The sun peaks its head out from behind the grey clouds as I hang the washing out on the line, the towels smells great. When back inside I vacuum the pieces of wood that have fallen in front of the fireplace and dust the bookshelf well. I head for the kitchen, switching the kettle on as I run past, wiping the benches and setting out the fruit in a bowl. Perhaps the girls will be tempted with fruit after school, I think to myself, but a chocolate biscuit by the fire is more likely to be their afternoon snack.

Howard comes home for morning tea and tells me that the Brolga's are back on one of the dams. We are very excited because they haven't called into the farm for over 6 years. I would love him to take me to see them but preparation for sowing has begun and he is very focused on the jobs at hand. That's  OK...because I still have the bathroom to wipe over, the mopping to do and more washing to hang out. I will head down to see the visiting birds at lunch time.

I throw another log on the fire and feel the gorgeous heat filling the lounge room. The house is starting to look like someone loves it. The housework feels important today for some reason, as I create an ambiance and warmth in this space. Putting some little flowers in the bathroom, wiping over the windows, folding Pjs and placing them under pillows; in some circles it probably doesn't count for much but today these ordinary chores feel like little acts of love.

Contentment is a wonderful thing.

(What a great lunch break.....Not only do we have brolga's visiting but pelicans too! A lovely surprise. The pelicans look very out of place without their deep blue ocean as a back drop. I suppose everyone needs a trip to the countryside now and then!)



 


   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt